These are my Thursday tidbits:
1. If you haven’t already voted for Big Ring and I in the Bikestyle Tours bike room contest, please do. It’s for a good cause; Big Ring has a never-ending need for new cycling gear and a desire for new cycling shades. And seriously, how can you not vote for this totally awesome getup that Big Ring had designed. (For the back story on this photo, click the link: Le Tour de Loft) Just 3 days left for voting!
2. This week, because of Dear Diabetes, I had to start going in for non-stress tests to check on the baby’s heart rate and movement; something I’ll have to do twice a week until baby is born.
And it turns out my little thumb-sucker is a tad on the stubborn side. I swear 90 per cent of the day, this kid is super active – jumping, kicking, summersaults, backflips, the worm… – but then when I need it to be active, he or she decides to take a wee little nap! Mind you, the charts still showed my little alien with a perfect little heart that beat anywhere from 118 bpm to 147 bpm, which apparently is good. They like the fluctuations, the nurse told me, it’s the “flatlining” babies they worry about.
But seriously, they should rename non-stress tests, super stress tests. After our first appointment, I had to book a series of appointments, and it’s as though these people either think you don’t work or you shouldn’t be working. They expect you to be super flexible, and yet they’re not super flexible. It took 30 minutes to book all the appointments, squeezing them in between my diabetes and pregnancy clinic appointments, obstetrician appointments, ultrasounds, and work. At one point, I looked at the receptionist and said “I thought this was supposed to be non-stress?”
3. Hey moms, does this look somewhat familiar?
Back in the day, when I was first diagnosed with type-1, Children’s Hospital gave my parents a white container in the shape of a half moon that would somehow latch onto the toilet seat for easy pee collection to test for ketones and such – they coined it the cowboy hat. And even though this cardboard replica is much smaller, and does not latch onto the toilet, it reminded me of them old cowboy hat days – and it too was great in the prevention of peeing all over my hands, which happens much too often these days!
4. Speaking of Children’s Hospital, a place I spent many days and nights in during my youth and the only hospital I have ever stayed in that I haven’t held a grudge against, today was Miracle Treat Day. For every DQ blizzard sold, $1 went to Children’s Hospital. How could I not support the cause 😀
5. Breast-feeding classes really need to come up with better-looking breasts than this:
I was trying to take the whole thing seriously, trying to pay attention, but when I got a creepy looking baby doll in one hand and a knitted lop-sided boob in the other, I was pretty much a lost cause for this class! Yep, I’m mature 😉
32 weeks: Non-stress my butt! was first published July 26, 2012.